Relationship building is the foundation of extraordinary leaders. Good leaders are competent and they are intentionally connected to the people they lead. One of the mistakes leaders make is spending too much time in their office and not enough time walking around.
Seven tips for effective leading down
- Walk the halls slowly. If this is a new action for you your team may be leery of your intentions. They may interpret your walking around as trying to catch them doing something wrong. Explain your intentions. Be consistent.
- See everyone as a 10. People perform to meet others expectations. Expect the best.
- Develop each team member as a person. Provide professional development opportunities
- Know each person’s strengths. Place people in area where they can exercise their strengths.
- Model the behavior you expect.
- Have a clear vision and share/transfer that vison.
- Reward for results. The reward may be an “atta girl/boy” note, a day off or lunch. Be genuine and consistent.
Join me on FB Live on Thursday, February 22 at 6 PM to learn techniques to lead down.
Do you have professional development opportunities scheduled for the spring? Lunch and Learns, Workshops, a Series? Let’s talk about how I can support you in providing a powerful, educational, engaging and fun experience. Contact me at (919) 651-0908.