I’ve captured the Tips for you here.
- Begin positively and light heartedly. Establish friendly and willing atmosphere
- Appeal to reason and flattery. Make suggestions sound appealing and logical.
- Command and threat. Assert authority and put opposition on back foot. (only in the movies)
- Scare tactic. Puts pressure on Barbossa to strip him of power.
- Define your goal. Have a plan to achieve it.
- Don’t be afraid to concede, you don’t have to win every small battle.
- Bluff and appeal to logic. Maintains Barbossa’s feeling of control while luring him into following Jack’s advice.
- Negotiating in the pirate culture. (or any culture) Pirates are only concerned with personal gain. Understand what is and is not acceptable.
- Use trust to gain leverage. Establish a common ground to get a level playing field.
- Flattery and bribe appeals to Barbossa’s authority and uses a gift to gain a better deal.
- Always use a contract. You may find yourself being double crossed.
- Don’t linger after a deal is closed. You may risk undoing all you’ve gained.
If you are anxious about a negotiation, let’s strategize so that you are successful and get what you want, need and deserve. Contact me at (919) 651-0908.