All my career I was cognizant of my unique leadership style, I just didn’t know there was a name for it!
Why Disruptive Leadership Works
The C-word is the dirtiest word in business jargon. No not Cancer – Complacency. It can show itself in disengaged employees, tired product launches and unmotivated customer service.
Disruptive Leadership is the front line defense against complacency. Disruptive Leadership is not about being militant or making change merely for the sake of change. It’s about challenging the current way the things are done and finding a solution with a fresh approach.
Leaders today are expected to cut a new path in the marketplace; to disrupt business as usual. They are expected to have a bold vision and have the personality to engage others to carry out that vision. Disruptive leaders are bold enough to break the rules, redefine the playing field and disrupt the status quo. They are effective in engaging their team and driving results – from the everyday to the extraordinary.Clayton Christensen, in his book, “The Innovator,” has five personal leadership competencies for success in today’s environment.
1. A Leapfrogging Mindset – creating or doing something radically new or different that produces a leap forward.
2. Boundary Pushing – pushing personal boundaries by surrounding themselves with diverse team members. Strategically, they push the limits of their teams, organizations and partners
3. Adaptive planning – action leads to results, we learn from them and modify assumptions and approaches accordingly.
4. Data- Intuition Integration- in times of disruption, robust data rarely exists. Leaders must Use whatever information they have – then trust their gut for the rest.
5. Savoring Surprise – Disruption is a process laden with surprise. Disruptive leaders are able to use surprise as a strategic tool.